Sister/Charge Nurse/Senior ODP
- 317 Urology Theatres - FH
- Band 6
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Freeman Hospital
- 317 01 Freeman Hospital
- £32,306 - £39,027 per annum
- 03/07/2022 23:59
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with around 16,000 staff and an annual income of £1 billion.
Rated ‘Outstanding’ by the CQC for the second consecutive time in 2019, we have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We’re also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients ‘contacts’ each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people’s race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.
Newcastle Hospitals are proud to be one of the exemplar organisations across the NHS on sustainability, with a long history of delivering Sustainable Healthcare in Newcastle (Shine) and the first healthcare organisation in the world to declare a climate emergency. Our strategy includes commitments to being Net Zero by 2030, for our direct carbon footprint, and Net Zero by 2040 for our footprint plus. Delivering these ambitions will not be possible without the help, support and action of every single member of our team.
We have twenty theatres covering various surgical specialties including ENT, Urology, HPB/Transplants Orthopeadics and General/Vascular surgery. This is a new post which has been created due to the expansion of surgery within the Central Operating department, this is the perfect post for someone looking to further their career and develop new skills.
We are looking for someone who has scrub skills and would be happy use their skills across the department. The role will include taking charge of the department in the absence of the Senior Sister 24/7 excellent communication skills will be essential along with good time management and demonstrating effective leadership qualities.
- Interview Date: 12th July 2022
- 37 hours, 30 minutes/week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate. The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first month’s pay.
Newcastle Hospitals encourages all staff and volunteers who are appointed to join the Trust to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Main duties of the job
- Support the Senior Sister / Charge Nurse / Senior ODP with professional accountability and standards, ensuring professional practices in line with the requirements of the NMC / HCPC and the Trust.
- Ensure the provision of safe and effective patient care.
- Support the Senior Sister / Charge Nurse / Senior ODP to ensure environmental standards and cleanliness are maintained in line with national and Trust Standards in the ward / department.
- Act as a deputy and effectively manage the Department / Theatre resource when the Senior Sister / Charge Nurse / Senior ODP is absent.
- Support and contribute to the development of patient care and Peri-Operative practice within the Department / Theatre, contributing to Trust projects where required.
- Support the develop of junior staff or students ensuring appropriate supervision and assessment is available.
Working for our organisation
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of £1 billion.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- To support the Senior Sister / Charge Nurse / Senior ODP, acting as a deputy when the Senior Sister / Charge Nurse / Senior ODP is absent.
- In areas within the organisation Nurses / ODPs may be banded at 6 by virtue clinical reasons, for example, critical care.
- Provide effective support and leadership to staff, patients and carers within the Theatre or Department.
- Act as role model, teacher and supervisor for junior staff and students.
- Ensure systems are in place to provide the continuity of safe effective care for patients at all times.
- Effective member of the multi-disciplinary team.
- May be required to participate in an On-call rota as required.
- Registered Nurse (appropriate to branch) / Operating Department Practitioner
- Current NMC / HCPC registration
- Diploma in a health related subject, prepared to take degree level study
- Specialist qualification if relevant to role or previous experience
- Meets Nursing and Midwifery Council standards for student supervision and assessment (formally Mentorship)
- Degree in health related subject
- Relevant specialist qualification
- Previous post registration experience which must be relevant and recent
- Evidence of achievements and career development in current post and of on-going professional development
- Understanding of professional accountability in a leadership role
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant NHS policy or project specific policy context
- Has understanding / experience of adult / child safeguarding
- Audit / research experience
- Relevant clinical skills relating to the specialty e.g. cannulation / IV drug administration / scrub skills relevant to speciality / anaesthetic skills appropriate to speciality
- Good IT skills
- Excellent communication / interpersonal skills
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Claire Park
- Job title
- Email address
- Telephone number